Our Mission is:
There are three interpretations of this mission.
It is the journey to answer the complex question “Why am I here?”
It is help that is just.
It is to do no harm of any kind against ourselves, others or the environment.
Our Vision is:
The key to a fulfilling, shared future is through a deliberate, communal effort to sustain life. We shall achieve this through:
• environmental preservation with clean energy, recycling and organic gardening;
• formation of covenant groups to fulfill needs of special interest groups;
• multigenerational education and care services, such as youth mentoring, family friendly classes and provision of basic needs for low income children and adults;
• development of a prison ministry to give inmates improved opportunities;
• implementation of a responsible growth plan for the congregation to include eco-friendly land development and broad outreach efforts to the community.
To achieve this vision, Thoreau Woods must have effective leadership. A Council of Counsel shall be established to share their wisdom and experience with the congregation and help develop congregational leaders. Membership in this group shall be based on a history of commitment to the Unitarian Universalist movement through actions and support.
Our Purpose is:
The purpose of this society shall be the enjoyment and practice of religion founded upon devotion to individual freedom of belief. Using reason as our guide and freedom as our method, we seek to grow in understanding ourselves and our world and to promote and serve the universal human family. (Article II of Bylaws)